Sunday, February 22, 2009

Small Things get you Going..

It was that time of the day when you are really restless, idle, bored, tired and what not... I really needed something to get my day started but in a way was too lazy to even have my cup of coffee and then this happened...
The Scene..
Watching Chennai 600028 with English subtitles on it... Majority of the people I know don't like watching movies with subtitles ON for it could be distracting and could spoil the feel of watching a movie, and many might be knowing how irrelevant the subtitles for Indian movies could be, it can sometimes get worse than watching a Hollywood flick dubbed in Tamil. But, as I mentioned, I was too restless to be doing anything and I had to stretch to get the remote, so forget it... For people who have watched this movie will know its about gully cricket and there's this commentator who gives his commentary through all the matches they show on the movie.
There is this scene when the commentator tries to flirt with a lady next to him calling her Inji Idupazhagi, thanks to Kamal Hassan's Thevar Magan for the term and guess what the subtitle for that said? It was translated as 'Ginger Waist Beauty', man gotto give it to who ever had written the translations, seriously I couldn't stop laughing watching it and if it wasn't enough there were a few bloopers which followed, I actually stopped listening to the dialogues and started concentrating on the subtitles. The next scene Shiva calls someone 'Sanniyenne', the subtitle said 'Planet Saturn', 'Dei Pudingi' was 'Hey Remover'. Man, how funny was that? I think that provided me enough adrenaline to get me going through the day..
But on a serious note, I really think Directors who have taken so much pain to take the movie should spend sometime atleast reading these subtitles, leave writing them themselves, for I don't know what people not knowing the language would interpret it as.. especially things like 'Sanniyenne' as 'Planet Saturn' was hilarious.
Then I just happened to open this subtitle file of our Thailaivar's Baasha, just have a look at Rajini's introduction song translated in English.

I am autofellow autofellow
Four knowing route fellow

Justice having rate fellow
Good people mix fellow
Nice singing song fellow
Gandhi borning country fellow
Stick take means hunter fellow
Big people's relation fellow
Mercy having mind fellow da
I am all poor's relative fellow da
I am always poor people's relative fellow da
Achak means achak only; Gumuk means gumuk only
Achak means achak only; Gumuk means gumuk only

Town become big, population become big

Bus expecting, half age over
Life become hectic in time, exist in corner of street
Ada eye beat means love coming they telling
You hand clap means auto coming I telling
Front coming look, this three-wheel chariot
Good come and arrive, you trust and climb up
Mercy having mind fellow da
I am always poor people's relative fellow da
Achak means achak only; Gumuk means gumuk only
Achak means achak only; Gumuk means gumuk only

Mummy motherfolk, danger not leave

Heat or cyclone, never I never tell
There there hunger take means, many savoury
Measurement food is one time
For pregnancy I come free mummy
Your child also name one I keep mummy
Letter lacking person ada trusting us and coming
Address lacking street ada auto fellow knowing
Achak means achak only ; Gumuk means gumuk only
Achak means achak only ; Gumuk means gumuk only

Yeah!! I never knew it had so much meaning!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The translations were really funny yaar..especially the Ginger waist beauty and the Planet Saturn one..and I can im agine these jokes in the middle of the not so good days!!

Marutham said...

ROTFL....
How did you manage to type all that?! :P
Am sure u must have ended up laughing too much after the Gumuk means gummuk... :P

Hilarious...
Thanks for making me laugh..thats something i did after QUITE some time now.

Cheers!
Marutham :)

JDK said...

Hey,
That was really funny. I couldn't stop laughing for a long time..
esp. "Achak means achak only ; Gumuk means gumuk only " ...ROFL